As more and more people are choosing to follow a gluten-free and vegan lifestyle, finding delicious dessert recipes that fit these dietary restrictions can be a challenge. But fear not - we've scoured the internet to bring you some of the best gluten-free vegan dessert recipes out there. From cakes and cookies to pies and puddings, these treats are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising your dietary needs.
Gluten-free Flour Options
Gluten-free diets have become increasingly popular in recent years due to the rise in gluten intolerance and celiac disease. As a result, there has been an increase in demand for gluten-free flours. Fortunately, there are many gluten-free flours available that can be used to replace wheat flour in baking and cooking.
- Almond flour: Made from blanched almonds, almond flour is a great gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. It has a nutty flavor and a light texture that works well in baked goods like cakes, cookies, and bread. Almond flour is also high in protein, healthy fats, and fiber, making it a nutritious option.
- Coconut flour: Made from dried coconut meat, coconut flour is another popular gluten-free flour. It has a unique, slightly sweet flavor and a fine texture that works well in baked goods. Coconut flour is also high in fiber, low in carbs, and has a low glycemic index, making it a great option for those following a low-carb or paleo diet.
- Rice flour: Made from ground rice, rice flour is a versatile gluten-free flour that can be used in a variety of dishes, including baked goods, noodles, and bread. It has a mild flavor and a light, fluffy texture that works well in cakes and muffins. Rice flour is also affordable and readily available, making it a convenient option.
- Buckwheat flour: Despite its name, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is naturally gluten-free. Buckwheat flour has a nutty flavor and a slightly earthy taste that works well in pancakes, waffles, and bread. It's also high in protein, fiber, and essential minerals like iron and magnesium.
- Chickpea flour: Made from ground chickpeas, chickpea flour is a popular gluten-free flour in Middle Eastern and Indian cuisine. It has a nutty flavor and a dense texture that works well in savory dishes like falafel, socca, and fritters. Chickpea flour is also high in protein, fiber, and iron, making it a nutritious option.
Gluten-free Baking Tips
Gluten-free baking can be a bit tricky, as gluten-free flours behave differently than traditional wheat flour. Here are some things to consider when baking gluten-free:
- Flour: As mentioned earlier, there are many gluten-free flours available that can be used in baking. However, different gluten-free flours have different properties, so it's important to choose the right one for the recipe. For example, almond flour and coconut flour have different absorption rates than rice flour or chickpea flour, so you'll need to adjust the amount of liquid used in the recipe accordingly.
- Binding agents: Gluten is what gives baked goods their structure and elasticity. When baking gluten-free, you'll need to use alternative binding agents such as xanthan gum or guar gum to help the dough or batter hold together. These binding agents help to mimic the texture of gluten and keep baked goods from falling apart.
- Leavening agents: Baking powder and baking soda are both gluten-free, but they can still affect the texture of your baked goods. Because gluten-free flours are often denser than wheat flour, you may need to use more leavening agents to get the right rise and texture.
- Moisture: Gluten-free baked goods tend to be drier than traditional baked goods, so it's important to add extra moisture to the recipe. This can be done by adding more liquid ingredients, such as non-dairy milk or oil, or by adding moist ingredients like applesauce or mashed bananas.
- Temperature and time: Gluten-free baked goods may require a lower temperature or longer baking time than traditional baked goods. It's important to follow the recipe instructions carefully and to check the baked goods frequently to prevent over- or under-baking.
Our Favorite Vegan Gluten-free Dessert Recipes
Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse
This Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse is avocado-free and naturally sweetened for a slightly healthier take on a classically indulgent dessert.
Mango Coconut Breakfast Parfait
Enjoy a decadent brunch at home with our Mango Coconut Breakfast Parfait. It's layered with coconut yogurt, frozen mango, and homemade granola!
Best Homemade Vegan Brownies
Looking for a decadent, fudgy brownie recipe that's gluten-free, dairy-free, and easy to make? These brownies from Eat with Clarity are exactly what you need.
Ingredients: sugar, ground flaxseed, oil, vanilla, gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, sea salt
Strawberry Basil Ice Cream (Dairy-Free)
This easy recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream contains a whole pound of fresh, ripe strawberries and tastes just like summer. This ice cream recipe is also dairy-free and vegan!
Blueberry Crumble Bars
These blueberry crumble bars from Running on Real Food are a healthy and delicious dessert option, made with fresh fruits. With a soft and chewy base, sweet blueberry filling, and crunchy oat crumble topping, these bars are vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free.
Ingredients: almond flour, oat flour, vegan butter or coconut oil, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, rolled oats, fresh blueberries, cornstarch
Looking for a delicious vegan dessert that's easy to make and perfect for any occasion? Look no further than this Vegan Blueberry Cobbler recipe from Resplendent Kitchen. Made with fresh blueberries and a crumbly, golden topping.
Ingredients: blueberries, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, lemon, cinnamon, nutmeg, rolled oats, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, vegan butter, coconut milk
Gluten-Free PB&J Thumbprint Cookies
Made with simple, wholesome ingredients like peanut butter, almond flour, and raspberry jam, these cookies are a delicious twist on a classic flavor combo that's sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Ingredients: peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, raspberry or strawberry jam
Cinnamon Apple Crumble (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
This Cinnamon Apple Crumble is a quintessential fall dessert. It’s the perfect way to use up your bounty of apples from the apple orchard!
Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats
If you're a fan of the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter, you're going to love these delicious Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats from Bakerita.
Ingredients: peanut butter, maple syrup, salt, gluten-free puffed brown rice cereal, dark chocolate
No-Bake Peanut Butter Brownie Bites (Gluten-Free)
These little brownie bites are the perfect way to quench your cravings for chocolate and peanut butter without derailing your healthy diet!
Easy Vegan Gluten-free Banana Bread
This recipe from The Pretty Bee is moist, fluffy, and packed with banana flavor. Made with gluten-free flour, almond milk, and coconut oil, this banana bread is perfect for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Craving something sweet and chewy? Make these delicious vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from Nora Cooks.
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or simply craving something chocolatey, this vegan and gluten-free decadent chocolate cake from Broma Bakery is sure to impress.
Gluten-Free Coconut Macaroons
If you're looking for a simple and delicious gluten-free and vegan dessert, try these coconut lime macaroons from Salted Plains. Made with shredded coconut, coconut oil, and lime zest, these macaroons are chewy, flavorful, and perfect for a summer treat.
1 Bowl Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
If you're a fan of peanut butter and looking for a vegan and gluten-free dessert recipe, these vegan peanut butter cookies from Simple Veganista are a must-try. Made with simple ingredients
like peanut butter, almond flour, and maple syrup, these cookies are soft, chewy, and packed with peanut butter flavor.
No matter what your dietary restrictions may be, there are plenty of delicious gluten-free vegan sweet treats out there to satisfy your sweet tooth. Give these recipes a try and see for yourself just how tasty healthy desserts can be!